When looking for a CCW instructor you should be an informed consumer. things to ask your instructor would be:
1) Are they a certified NRA instructor or some other licensed firearms instructor such as through Consumer Affairs (BSIS)?
2) Are they using a range or are you out in the woods?
3) Does the instructor have equipment you can try out?
4) How long have they been teaching?
5) Does the training comply with P.C. 12050
(E) (i) For new license applicants, the course of training may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority, shall not exceed 16 hours, and shall include instruction on at least firearm safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm. Notwithstanding this clause, the licensing authority may require a community college course certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training, up to a maximum of 24 hours, but only if required uniformly of all license applicants without exception.
(ii) For license renewal applicants, the course of training may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority, shall be no less than four hours, and shall include instruction on at least firearm safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm. No course of training shall be required for any person certified by the licensing authority as a trainer for purposes of this subparagraph, in order for that person to renew a license issued pursuant to this section.
6) And are you comfortable with that person?